St. Paul's Episcopal Church in Summerville, SC
We started attending this church in September 2005. Jerry and I decided that we wanted to find a church to attend since neither one of us grew up attending church on a regular basis. Morgan and Avery attended the Christian Learning Center Preschool so we figured we would start here. I'll never forget attending our first service, just Morgan and I (because Jerry said, "if you like it, I'll like it so you go check it out first"). Afterwards, they have a meet and greet outside, we did not know very many people but several people came up to us, introduced themselves and said that they were glad we were there! I have NEVER been to a church that showed such hospitality. I have attended several churches in the past and it was always the same old, listen to a boring service and it was done. You didn't talk to anyone, you just walked out and went home. Pleased that you did your "duty". I became very involved at St. Paul's but backed off once I started working at the Preschool. One thing led to another and we were coming up with excuses left and right as to why were not able to attend that Sunday. I would regret it every week. With the New Year, I made a promise to God that I would do my very best to truly worship him every Sunday whether it be in the church or at home. It is easier to worship him at church than it is at home with 50 million distractions so that is my goal. We started this morning, the kids and I packed up and went to church and it was so calming and freeing. I struggled this morning because I knew I needed to go but did not want to and the kids haven't been in so long, they did not want to go :-) We went and I got several slaps in the face! At least 3 couples made comments about how shocked they were to see me! I wanted to cry but it was tough love and I had to take it because I brought it upon myself. The kids and I also got to bring the food offering up to the alter which was fun and special. Mrs. Mary who takes care of that had asked us in the past but sadly I told her that I could not commit because of our track record :-( How sad is that! I am so glad that we made the decision to go and as my witnesses, I am not held accountable!
Jerry did not want to go (this is my goal, not his, although we probably need to discuss), so I did not get mad or upset. Over the years I have realized that everyone is at a different place in their walk and that's okay! I struggled for a long time that I was becoming closer to the Lord and Jerry was not. I resented him for holding me back because I did not want to go it alone. God has shown me that it's okay for us to be at different places in our journey and that my faith will eventually "wear off" on him. I believe this because there are certain people that just exude the Lord through their actions and it's like a drug that you want!
Thanks for listening to my ranting. I needed to release my thoughts and who better to release them to :-)
Have a Great Day!



0 comments:
Post a Comment